Thread: I Need a Plan
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2018, 09:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Berrybean

I'm not sure the stats you would like to find are truly available. I also don't think meds would make things much easier to be honest. At some point what we have to do is find better ways of dealing with life and relationships and being us than by drinking. When we first get sober it will feel rotten for a while, as we need time to build up our sober life strategies, and learning these strategies is developing our recovery plan. Once we've learnt those things we need to keep using them - working our recovery plan. Just stopping drinking can be unsustainable in the long term if we don't add things IN as well as take that out. Ourveecovery work is what can make sobriety bearable, sustainable, comfortable and (eventually) preferable to drinking. Just BEing sober for me was horrendous. I needed to learn how to LIVE sober. How to cope with feeling emotions without acting out.

The good news is, it's possible to make a recovery plan. There's great support on here, and there would be face to face support from other mums who've walked your path in AA that you could tap into as well. And that s a great way to find some new recovery / sober friends. I was hesitant about AA to say the least. Why would I want to go hang out with a bunch of drunks? Of course, all those folk in the meetings had been sober much longer than I could contemplate (my sponsor had her 40 years sober anniversary a little while ago!) And they were very happy to guide me along the path to recovery and teach me about how to stay sober and find peace and joy while being sober (which frankly seemed pretty impossible to me).

Anyway. Glad you're here and posting. Stay sober today.

BB