View Single Post
Old 02-19-2018, 04:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Ken33xx

Originally Posted by Ibble View Post
Hi All

Rationally I know I can never drink again. I know that for me and the majority of people who get to the point where alcohol has become a very serious issue, that I cannot moderate my drinking. So picking up the first drink will in short order end up with me in a world of pain.

Having said that, there is a niggle somewhere that at some point in the future I might be able to go out and enjoy a few sociable pints. It's ******** and past experience has shown me with a very pointy stick that it's ********. But the niggle persists...

So I'm interested in hearing from people who have made that commitment and how they came to it. It is expected if you are following the Rational Recovery path but not all of us are. The AA way of "Just For Today" is another way and I can understand why people would take that view. So I'm not looking to start a discussion on the pros and cons of RR/AA/SOS/SMART/Refuge etc etc, I would like to hear from individuals who have a made a personal for ever commitment to never drinking again, unconditionally, and how they came to accept and internalise that decision.

Thanks
Ed
When I got sober in AA I had no credibility with myself. I had told myself I wouldn't drink that day or I would cut back or I would do this or do that so many times I didn't trust myself.

My first AA meeting the chairperson said he had 10 years sobriety. He might as well have said he went to the moon. I couldn't comprehend 10 years of not drinking. But I had no trouble grasping the one day at a time concept. I'm not saying what I will do tomorrow I am just not drinking for today.

When thoughts of drinking do pop up like if I am walking in an airport I play out the tape in my head. And it always ends bad.

Because I don't want a drink or two. I want to get loaded and that's the way it has always been with me.