Thread: Hello everyone
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2018, 05:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Hey BB from another BB.

You know, alcoholism isn't so much about how often we drink, but more about what happens to us when we take those first few, seemingly harmless, drinks. I too was a binge drinker, mostly Friday, Saturday and Sunday (and whenever else I thought there was an excuse or I could get away with it). When I think back to when I first started drinking in my early teens, I can say that once I'd had a couple, all bets were off. Even going for a couple of drinks at lunchtime in my workbreak at 17, I never once made it back to work. (Lost that job and learned not to do lunchtime drinking after that).

After having an evening that brought even more misery and regret with it than my normal chaotic weekend bingeing, I resolved to stay sober. I managed the first month alone, but by the end of the month, without the promise of that release there I felt like a bottle of shook up soda. Ready to explode. Miserable, restless irritable and discontent (which I now know to be the state of sober alcoholics who aren't working on their recovery ie. Learning new and better ways to deal with life than look for release or soothing or highs outside of themselves).

I believe that there is a good fellowship of AA in the Netherlands, esp for young people. I would suggest that you find some meetings to attend, especially at those times when youd usually be hitting it at the weekends. It's rarely as easy as just putting the drink down. We have to relearn lots of thinking and coping strategies.

BB