Old 02-16-2018, 06:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
An ego maniac with an inferiority complex. I know lots of people like this....some addicts, some not. But all can't cope with life....and I find control is a major issue for these people.

I find when I'm relating to the world, I often (without really realizing it) place myself in either a one up to the external thing/person/institution, or a one down. It can be really subtle too and very much controls how I then react to this external stimulus. Trying to observe and remove judgment of everything helps me keep my responses more emotionally consistent and mature. Makes life soooo much easier!

Since I am an AAer, this is exactly why I read pp 417-418 of the BB every morning as part of my recovery work. To paraphrase, when I starting thinking "I know better" or something isn't how I think it should be...I'm saying I know better than God. And that was proven wrong by the fact that I became an alcoholic - and it was the "best thing that ever happened to me, so if I don't know what's best for me, then I don't know what's best for you or anyone else"....also, [I've learned] that there is a "little good in the worst of us, and a little bad in the best of us" so I best just leave the whole shebang up to [God].

This self-centered alcoholic really has to keep "turning it away from the I" every day!!