Old 02-16-2018, 04:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Originally Posted by J50 View Post
Their unwillingness to learn from other people means that they increase the risk of relapse.

What I love about this site is the willingness of others to share their journey and to let others know that it can be done. The support is also unbelievable!
I was one of the people who put themselves through an unnecessarily extended period of pain because I wasn't willing to learn from others. I found it all very interesting, and felt a bit sorry that they needed to do 'all that stuff' to stay sober. Not really understanding that It's not necessarily about just maintaining sobriety, but about ensuring that the quality of it is such that we can be comfortable and happy in ourselves. I needed to get to the stage where I'd being praying every night that I could just die in my sleep, and waking up disappointed to be doing so every morning. After a while of that I finally became willing to listen and actually do what was suggested, and then lo and behold, I started to get some relief.

I'm so grateful today that I finally got that gift of desperation. Maybe some folk just need that and it's the only way they're ever going to try things that are suggested. If so, it's a shame.

BB