Thread: Broken
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 11:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Originally Posted by Madlovelily81 View Post
Really? I didn't know that there's a difference, can you explain to me please. honestly i think he confessed out of selfishness. he even told me that I would of never found out about anything, but like he hit rock bottom and that guilt was taking him back out. yes I have thought about it but don't know where to start for support.
Sober just means we haven't taken a drink. Drink has been removed. There is a void. The alcoholic is restless, irritable, discontent. Often drowning in self-pity and resentments one minute and self-loathing and guilt the next. They feel terrible. Worse than terrible. Either they end up cross-addicting, relapsing, or going mad.
I was in this state for a while. I wanted to die.

In recovery means they've taken alcohol out and are learning to put other, more healthy coping strategies in place. This makes sobriety tolerable and sustainable. Eventually sobriety is comfortable and one day becomes preferable to drinking.

Does that make sense.

It is not only alcoholics who benefit from recovery . Many partners of alcoholics and addicts have recovery programs that help them not get caught up in their alcoholic /addicts faulty thinking and logic. It helps them to set healthy boundaries. It helps them to live a fulfilling life despite their alcoholic / addict. AlAnon. NarAnon. ACoA. AlaTeen. These are all examples of recovery programs specifically for family and partners of alcoholics / addicts (just the ones that sprang to mind as I was typing).

BB