View Single Post
Old 02-11-2018, 10:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Redmayne
Redmayne

Facing up to adversity

Thanks for this,not least because with, come 15th Feb., ten years of recover behind me and accepting that my sobriety remains my primary objective in life I now see myself as a Stoic philosopher. Bearing in mind that Stoicism is not what some people misguidedly think about repressing emotions, it is about transforming emotions.

'Man is not disturbed by events, but his view of events,' - Epictetus.

On which basis,like many other Stoics, I have little time for those who haven't faced up to adversity and even less respect for them. How can you tell a person's strength of character if they no nothing of adversity? Other than,perhaps what they see or hear about in the media?

There are many people who play at life and don't recognise reality until it slams them in the teeth!

Not so for those in recovery ... from alcohol or drug addiction,alcoholism speaking from my more recent experience the events I described in opening this thread.

'Adversity is a training exercise' - Seneca,and as I'm sure many of those competing in the Winter Olympics would concur,'Practice makes perfect.'