Old 02-09-2018, 05:09 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
OpheliaKatz
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

Me too. Living with an addict messed me up really good. My sleep is messed up. My weight was messed up. I can't focus as well. My hair started going grey and falling out. Nowadays, when I'm in a noisy environment, I find I'm suddenly unable to hear anything, like I've gone temporarily deaf.

Originally Posted by LLLisa View Post
I have been thinking about this post since I read it yesterday. From my reading and in my experience talking with co-dependent and formally co-dependent wives of alcoholics, adrenal fatigue is something that happens to quite a few of us.

Just because we are not the addict doesn't mean that we escape the physical effects of an addiction. In my case, I knew I was psychologically screwed up and co-dependent but I didn't expect physical scars. For example, myself and my children all had a totally screwed "fight or flight" response. A door slamming, a car backfiring or someone yelling in the street for example, had us shaking. This continued long after the alcoholic had been banned from our home.

Even now, almost 6 years later, I will have over exaggerated physical responses when I am afraid or when I hear a loud, unexpected noise.

Living/walking on eggshells for so long is very damaging both mentally and physically.