Old 02-09-2018, 12:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
August252015

Lots of good comments above.

For me, here at nearly two years sober on the 21st, I CAN say that my life is pretty much beyond my wildest dreams. It is very unlike what I'd have drawn out for myself in some ways, especially the path I took through alcoholism to get here, but it is pretty darn pink.

The "it gets better" line (I am an AA-er so I certainly hear it plenty) means certain things in my experience and recovery life:

I have clarity to think through, make decisions, do better at pausing then acting v reacting- those skills are immensely improved sober

I am healthy, getting healthier - I was given a year, 18 mo if I kept going like I was; while I still deal with sleep issues and I do maintain a med regimen for anxiety, I am in some of the best shape of my life physically - two years ago, I needed "vodka for energy" - now I do hot yoga 5-6x a week and just ran a 15K.

My relationships are infinitely better. From basic human interactions at the bank and store and out to dinner, to my now husband (my high school bf and I reconnected when I was about 5 mo sober and he was a month, and we married this past Dec- a totally separate wonderful pink story) to my parents to the loving friends I have in and out of the program....

My ability to be a productive - and more than that, a giving back- member of society....

I could go on. My life isn't perfect but it's amazing. And everything I have, get to do, people I know, on and on - I have because I stopped drinking.

It took longer than 2 mo to start seeing changes. But I am one who will tell you over and over that AA saved my life by showing a path to change and I jumped in with no looking back, after years of "fighting" it bc I just wanted to keep drinking.

That part was based on another AA saying to "look for the people who have what you want." I wanted to be healthy, happy, SANE, etc etc....so I studied and listened and learned from people who seemed to have these things. Surely, I could find them for myself, and I am.

There is nothing that was better when I was drinking.

Keep going- I hope you will find a life in recovery (which is more than just sobriety) that will bring your own version of great joy and peace.