View Single Post
Old 02-06-2018, 08:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Smarie78

You're very welcome Mango. I tell that story often. In fact I told it just last week as I drove myself and a couple of colleagues to a meeting with me. We stopped to get gas and in this brutal Midwest winter, I sometimes fail to turn off my engine while pumping as I don't want to turn off the heat. When I got back into the vehicle my colleague said "you don't turn your engine off to pump gas??". She said she always heard you could have an explosion that way. She's a friend so was more ribbing me, but I quickly apologized and told her I would never do that again when she was in the car with me. She seemed surprised to hear me say that as though it was no big deal, but I immediately recalled the incident in the car with my superior and told her the story.

The whole point though is that you're right. As I began my healing journey even before the addict left, I often had trouble quieting the voice that wanted so badly to stand up for me. Even when I wanted to be a "good girl" there came many times when it would sneak right up.