View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 02:00 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  
kenton

No shame in relapsing TinkerB... everyone falls, what's awesome is what happens after you stand back up. I think you're brave, strong and fabulous. Keep going, you're doing great.

So I have a bit of a dilemma.... yesterday my brother phoned me and said one of my sisters has been saying some pretty awful stuff about me behind my back. It's been going on for about 2 weeks apparently. None of what she's been saying is true. I spoke to a mutual friend last night and my sister has spread lies about me to her too.

I got pretty upset about it last night and this morning my overriding feeling is one of confusion. I don't understand why she's saying this stuff about me. I understand that when I was drinking I was no doubt a major pain in the neck but I've been sober for 15 months now.... I know I haven't done anything wrong. In fact, I've been worried about this sister because I know she suffers from mood swings so I've been phoning her regularly to check up on her and I've spent a lot of time listening to her problems etc.

So, my dilemma is. ... what do I do now? How do sober people react to stuff like this? Do I turn the other cheek, let her carry on spreading lies in the hope she'll get bored soon and no one will believe her? Or do I confront her and try to keep my temper in check?

I've always had a turbulent relationship with this sister, something I've often blamed myself for. She has this weird sense of entitlement and thinks she should always have more than me. In the past she's stolen boyfriends and money from me. The thing is, I always had a problem with alcohol so every time she did something awful to me, I'd get drunk, react ridiculously and strengthen my position as the family lunatic. My reaction would always outshine whatever she did to provoke me in the first place.

I'm not that person anymore... something that most people are starting to see. I'm aware that happy people don't spread lies about another human so I know my sister is unhappy and hurting but am I supposed to just take this? Is it time to call time on our relationship? I know drunk people sever family ties, do sober people do it too?

Last night I was so upset by what she's been saying about me, I couldn't read my book of inspirational quotes. Already her behaviour has started to throw me off course. My sobriety has to remain my priority and I don't want to risk that. Not for anything or anyone. I know I need to remember my signature...'new day, new attitude'... I'm just not sure what that attitude is.

Sorry for writing a novel. I'm pretty churned up ... I don't know who in the real world she has spoken to about me and who believes her lies. Once again, I'm turning to you.... my awesome cyber family.

Congratulations to everyone celebrating a milestone today. 24 more for me please xxxx