View Single Post
Old 01-30-2018, 08:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LRCSX

He doesn't tell me much

Hi there! I'm dating a someone who has been sober seven months. He was addicted to alcohol and cocaine. We have been dating almost 5 months.

When he first told me in the third date about having had past issues with alcohol I didn't think it was that much of an issue (I have no prior experience with this). On date five he gave me more info that he is living in a sober house and that his alcoholism was an issue. I stopped seeing him after that, but he pursued me and I gave in. Last week he revealed that he also goes to NA meetings when he previously told me that alcohol was his issue.

I ask him about his recovery, and he says he is on step 5 and goes to meetings 3 to 4 times a week. I ask him about his past and all he says is he partied too much and he didn't know how to say "no" to his friends. One day he got up, left his city without telling friends, changed his phone number and moved to a sober house.

Beyond that he tells me next to nothing. He says compared to others his issues aren't so bad. I feel like he minimizes everything so I don't know if he doesn't want to share things with me or if he isn't being realistic about his sobriety. He once told his sponsor that he will get sober and then go on vacation. That's how easy he thought it would be.

I care a lot about him but his lack of communicating to me about anything concerning his sobriety scares me. Part of me wants to walk away and another part of me wants to stay because of how kind and gentle he is. That's why I'm on this forum to learn and to ask for advice.

So far it's such a happy relationship, but some days like today I think a lot and hard about him and what I am potentially getting myself into.