View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 09:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Berrybean

I did a couple of those month events - sober October, dry January. Thought exactly what your AV is telling you. Each time i went back to drinking and ended up drinking harder and faster than i had before it. Third time I tried to do it i couldn't manage it. That scared me. That would have been Jan 2014. Again was back to drinking harder and more recklessly, then a couple of things happened which made for spectacular lows, even for me, and I decided I really couldn't carry on living like this. One option was death, and the other was living sober, so I thought I'd at least give it a shot. I chose Lent 2014 as my sobriety date, but actually stopped the day before because I was so so sick of myself. The Lent period gave me a space of time when people left me to it, and didn't keep badgering me to come out to play and drink with them again. At the end of lent their patience was out and there were some 'friendly' saboteurs on my tail. I needed to learn to avoid those 'friends '. Thankfully AA was there for me - I started going after a month sober when I started to feel very strange with it all.

I do hope you won't go back to test this theory out. Not everyone makes it back.

BB