View Single Post
Old 01-27-2018, 08:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JJ991

Hi there.

I'm quite surprised at your doctor to be honest! This could end up a long post just so you can see the similarities.....

I was drinking a bottle of wine every night and suffering from horrible anxiety and dread. I was prescribed medication by my GP but just didn't want to take it....I didn't want to have to give up drinking basically.

After a few more months & a total meltdown I went on the medication. I stayed off the wine for a month but then gradually introduced it again, right back up to a bottle a night.

Finally, I took action and told my GP I drank a bottle of wine a night. I was immediately referred to an addiction counsellor. I live in the Midlands, I wonder if there is something similar in Glasgow you can insist on being referred to? The drinking makes the medication less effective. As soon as I stopped drinking (4 months ago) the anxiety was better, not gone but definitely better.

My medication is also citalopram. It is well known for blunting emotions. You can insist on changing medication if you don't like it. I've stuck with it as it has really helped me but the lack of emotion can be odd I know.

Oh and moderation doesn't work for people with alcohol issues. I tried, failed, then quit. It was bloody hard but so worth it.

Basically, get another GP or insist this one listens. Use my story if you have to, a good example of a GP taking me very seriously indeed.

Sorry if this sounds like a lecture!!