View Single Post
Old 01-27-2018, 07:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Catldy

Exhausted with family and friends

Hi I'm a newbie here. I finally went to rehab for 4 weeks after about 20 years of drinking. I was a high functioning alcoholic until about 3 years ago when I started to spiral. I went into rehab eyes wide open, ready, took it all in. I was excited about how good i felt and as a single mom and caregiver to an autistic relative. I realized I stopped focusing on me a very long time ago. My life cycle was get things done for them, the house, car, work, drink...repeat.

So when I decided to go to rehab at the suggestion of a relative. I didn't fight back like they expected. I got the heck out of dodge and into rehab.

Since I've been out I've had one black out episode and one alcohol poisoning incident. When i came out and relapsed my family bombarded me with very wrong and unhelpful advice such as: "I have a friend in AA so i know all about it, I know what you're going through". "Get some will power". "You need to go to my church". "I don't think rehab worked, these meetings aren't working". "You just need to stop" , " I told everyone to not bring any alcohol to Christmas because of you" (I stayed home and you know the rest)

Now since I scared the crap out of some of these family members with my black outs.....NOW they want to know about alcoholism.... from me. I can't. I'm trying to figure this out. It's like these people never heard of Google or something.

Not to mention my kids father hasn't spoken to me since I got out. I think that's a good thing actually.

I'm so frustrated with trying to educate my family about this when the only person that took the family addiction class to visit me was my drinking buddy... an active alcoholic. I'm drained on unwanted advice from non alcoholics and people that won't try to learn

I'm getting frustrated, the part that I'm scared of is that now I've pushed everyone out of the loop. No one knows that I'm still having trouble staying sober.