Thread: My Story
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2018, 11:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
notrealname333

Originally Posted by jlong1978la View Post
Hello. I am a binge drinker. That also means that I am an alcoholic. I am also a very stubborn person that has always tackled problems head on and came out victorious. So it has been very hard for me to admit defeat from alcohol. Even though other people noticed it.
I was never a daily drinker or really ever had cravings. My triggers were boredom or being the life of the party. So when I would actually start drinking it was katie bar the door. I never drank and drove and I thought I was being responsible when i was drinking. The little lies that we tell ourselves. Then it started taking more and more to get that buzz. I finally started seeing the writing on the wall.
I have not touched a drink in 11 days. My friends and family are behind me and being supportive. My wife however is not. She complains about me going to meetings, calls me an alcoholic, blames everything that happens to her on me, and it is beginning to wear me down. She did go to a family night meeting and I was hoping she would go to learn about alcoholism,but the therapost told me that she just bitched about me for 45 mins. She doesnt believe alcoholism is a disease and thinks we are all just weak.
I know i have brought her down a path that she didnt want, but i am trying to be a better person. I just wish she would see that I am trying.
Its a struggle but I am going to win this battle. I will not lose to that damn bottle again.
-J
Good for you I am in the same boat. Except my girlfriend is trying to understand even though she feels overwhelmed.

A lot of people really don't get it. For them it's "oh i'll have a cocktail or two during new years and maybe get silly at a bachelor(ette) party!" They don't understand the addiction aspect and how that reinforcement loop can become deadly.

I hope she comes around to taking it seriously and understanding how strong you are for admitting you need help.