View Single Post
Old 01-20-2018, 08:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Llywelyn

Me

I'm 61 and have been sober since March 2016. Life has thrown some horrible things my way in that time. A severe back injury, death of my mum, husband seriously ill, followed by daughter also seriously ill, and now I've been told that I possibly have cancer in my spine. Add to that , my brain has shrunk far more than it should have for a woman of my age, purely due to booze. But ........ still sober! How???? I ask myself. We'll, I've got an amazing daughter and grandson, go to AA regularly and just don't feel like killing myself!! Not to say I haven't been tempted, I have, I even took a mouthful of my husband's whiskey after I'd been told about the possible cancer. Stupid thing to do, it tasted awful, didn't calm my churning stomach and gave me a headache. But I still feel dreadful for having done it. A bit of temptation since, as I'm waiting for a radioisotope scan, which I hoping will be negative, but I haven't given in, YET. Being sober has changed my life so much. I'm ME again, silly, fun loving and able to join in conversations and make sense. Doesn't matter what age you are, it's still a game changing thing to do. There was a lady in my detox who was 79, it's never too late to stop. Even if the scan shows positive, I hope that I remain sober, we can never say can we? One day at a time and all that.