View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 10:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Quit123

Mentally and physically I feel a lot better since my last post.

I’ve been to a few different doctors and this is how it went:

1st doctor - “sorry to hear about your cocaine addiction but there’s nothing we can do, you’ve already quit so that’s good, just don’t do drugs again”. She didn’t even look at my nose or in my nostrils, which was my primary complaint and sort of looked down on me like I’m a junkie and rushed me out. I asked for an ENT referral and she said OK. My appointment is next month.

2nd doctor - was the best. He was very empathetic, asked a lot of questions, gave me a lot of information about how the body reacts to cocaine abuse, etc and what I can do to help speed up the body’s natural healing process. He seemed like he’s dealt with similar cases before. I picked this walk-in clinic based on their Google reviews and the fact they’re located near the financial and entertainment districts - tons of cocaine in those areas. He looked up my nostrils and said they’re severely inflamed, completely stripped of hair, etc but that it should recover if I do what he suggests. Netipot saline rinse and a prescription steroid nasal spray every night, rest, no drugs obviously and patience. He said that it takes the body and nasal passages about 1 year to recover from my type of cocaine use (moderate use with breaks and some pro-longed heavy heavy binges). Also the recovery time depends on what the cocaine was cut with, which only god knows. He also recommended a naturopath. I met with the naturopath who gave me diet suggestions and a multivitamin/fish oil/supplementation plan. I’m so happy I found this doctor. He was the only one that didn’t look at me like I’m a worthless piece of ****.

3rd doctor - He seemed like he was expecting me to say I have a cold or something and was kind of taken back when I told him about the cocaine and my concerns. He was empathetic and immediately referred me to an ENT and ordered a complete blood test. Blood test came back normal thank god, there was no damage to any of my organs. But he didn’t look inside my nostrils like the 2nd doctor did, which was my main complaint. I mean if I was a doctor and a patient said they’re worried about their nose because of cocaine abuse I would at least take a look and see if there’s anything that can be done while waiting a month for an ENT.

Morale of the story. If you’re seeking medical help, see more than 1 doctor and read their reviews online. If I didn’t find that second doctor I don’t know what I would have done. I even went back to see him a second time to ask some questions and again he was very comforting and patient when doing his best to answer my questions, unlike most doctors who just want to rush you out as soon as possible.

So, it’s been about 10 days since I first visited the second doctor. I’ve followed his instructions religiously and I notice that my breathing is improving. My nostrils were consistently dry for the last few months and now they feel moist at times of the day and dry at times. My nose is still peeling but not as much. It’s definitely no where near looking like it did a couple months ago but I’m hoping that within a year it will look normal again or almost.

I’m constantly dehydrated, I’ve been drinking soooo much water and I think that’s because of all the tissue damage in my nasal passages. Time will tell.

I’ve completely changed up my lifestyle. No drinking or smoking or anything that can be addictive. I even quit coffee and sugar (my weakness).

I’ve been eating super healthy and started juicing as well. Trying to maintain a positive mindset and hope for the best.

2 appointments with ENTs next month will give me a complete picture of what’s going on on the inside. Hopefully I haven’t done any serious damage.

It started off with a key bump at a friends wedding 3 years ago. That turned into recreational use during parties and stuff and then I grew to love cocaine and was doing it almost every day (1/4 or 1/2 gram) at work, at home, on dates, so many times I was high out of my mind and no one had any idea. Wasted so much money and so much time I could’ve put towards work, relationships, life.

I was lying to myself. I exercised and had a nice physique, business was good I was making decent money (blowing some of it on cocaine ) had a nice house, nice car so I felt like you know I work hard I’m gonna have a little fun. Never again. Not worth it. It can all look good on the outside but dying and falling apart inside. That was me. But never playing with my health again. Health is wealth is an understatement.