Thread: Just turned 21
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 06:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
BlownOne

I was just like you when I was 21, Cole. I liked to drink. A lot. All of my friends liked to drink. I played in a band so I was in bars and clubs every weekend where other people drank just like I did. Fast forward to age 46. My history now includes multiple cracked up cars, a DUI, multiple wrecked relationships, a divorce, a stint in rehab (which may have very well saved my life), fatty liver disease, type II diabetes and some other things which I just can't mention here. And like you, in my 20's I thought I was indestructible. But once you cross the line from alcohol abuse to full blown alcoholism, there is NO going back. It is something you will fight and fight hard for the rest of your life. It's a miserable existence being a slave to alcohol. Or any addiction, really, but alcohol and drugs inflict a special kind of misery. And it is slavery. It will take everything you have away from you little by little, until your life is just you and a bottle. I don't say these things to make you feel bad or scare, but you should be warned. It's a very slippery slope, and nobody sees it coming until it's too late.