View Single Post
Old 01-18-2018, 09:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Stayingsassy

Originally Posted by Cosima11 View Post
It's been really difficult for me. Not something I necessarily expected but honestly one of the main things I fear could derail my sobriety if I don't find a way to get it right..

I have delayed sleep phase syndrome which basically means I can fall asleep and stay asleep for a normal amount of time, just not at "normal" hours, I'm naturally more awake at night. Drinking allowed me to pass out whenever and adhere to a more socially acceptable schedule.

Since I quit drinking.. I'm now dealing with on and off insomnia where some nights I literally can't sleep at all. And I've never experienced that in my entire life.

It's cheesy but I sometimes listen to guided meditation sleep videos on youtube and that's helped to an extent. I've been mostly depressed and haven't really wanted to start any sort of exercise routine but I'm thinking it will be necessary at this point..

I strongly recommend that you get up early before you start your day and put in a workout. Start with 3o minutes on the clock for a brisk walk and then do some modified sit ups, squats and knee pushups. You can do them on knees or against a wall. Even just a few of these will add strength. Early morning exercise can cure sleep problems. Try that first.

Pay attention to nutrition. Get rid of all the processed crap and eat real food with only 1-2 ingredients per item. Splurge on good fruit like honeycrisp apples or grapes for a sugar fix....fruit really helps. Bad nutrition aggravates depression.

My husband says he has insomnia that he can't do anything about, but when he avoids drinking and does the above things, he has no problems. He also snores less!!!! Win for me.