View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 08:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

I can so relate. My bestie Tommy and I homebrewed, it was so much fun. We made a ton of specials for his wedding, including a really interesting ...well, I won't go into details. It was such a great male bonding exercise as well, and because his wife loves beer and as long as we brewed some IPAs she was very happy.

They just had a baby so he doesn't have that much time to brew anymore, which is good. We just need to find a new shared activity. I could probably still brew, I just can't taste...which would be kind of a drag. So for the little brewing he still does he usually does with someone else.

Wine was an even bigger deal for me...I was a trained somm. And you live in the Willamette Valley, that would be tough for me. I was planning a tasting trip up there which obviously ain't happenin' now.

I get the religious aspect of AA is offputting, it is to me as well. Some groups are less "goddy" than others but I live in a big place, so there's variety. When I went back to small-town East coast and tried the meetings there, it was way to Christian-based for me. But is can be a great source of community. There's also Refuge Recovery, which is based around Buddhist meditation.

I went to a SMART meeting and really liked it, just didn't like the people in the group. I'm sure it would have been better in other parts of town. Living in a small town you may have to create your own social groups. Do you have Meetup where you are? It's a site/app where you can form and join groups with like minded people. Looks like you're only about an hour from Portland, but I bet there are groups there that have something that interests you. Not a nightly thing, but you could certainly go for a Saturday or overnight once or twice a month.

Hope you got to see the eclipse.