Thread: New to forum
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 11:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
flyngtiger79

New to forum

Hello to everyone. This is new for me even though I have been dealing with a loved one with addiction for more than 12 years now. I found out on my own that you cannot love someone enough for them to get help with their addiction. You can only be there for them and continue to show your support and love for them in hopes that one day they will see the light for themselves. It has been a long road and it has taken lot out of me physically and mentally. I am getting help through therapy and with medication and am better able to be there for them now.
I am happy to say that this person last February decided enough was enough and decided to take back control of their life. They completed a detox treatment and began attending AA meetings and attacked this addiction with an incredible amount of determination. I have to admit I thought her road to recovery would be just as difficult as dealing with their addiction, but the reality is that she has basically quit "cold turkey". I think the detox was a main factor, but they haven't backslid not once in 11 months of sobriety. I am perplexed by their will and ability in tackling this. I honestly believe they are in the top 1% of those in AA. please don't judge me harsh for that comment, but I understand and have heard of those in recovery that struggle daily to get by. Some even backslide and have to start over. This person hasn't had any of those issues. There is a framed decorative piece mounted on the wall that says it perfectly. It says, "She believed she could so she did." That is exactly what "She" has done.
I didn't mean to go on for so long. I had a question I wanted to post and hopefully someone here can help me. I just wanted to put emphasis on the importance of the question I wanted ask by bragging on the person to whom it was related to. As if you haven't figured out how important this loved one is, "she" is my girlfriend soon to be fiancée and I love this person very much and am so proud of what she has accomplished in her recovery. This brings me to my question. February will be her 1 year of TOTAL sobriety and I want to get her something special. She will receive a 1yr chip from her AA group, but I would like to get her a special medallion. One of a better quality than
They give at the meetings. I want her to remember this date. I am asking if anyone knows where I can order her a high quality AA medallion (10-14 carat gold/silver or even plated) that can be customized with her sobriety date. Can someone help me?