View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 09:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
MyLittleHorsie

I normally don't give a flying monkey what people think, except when it comes to what I drank and how frequently I drank. I was raised that drunks are bums. The happy ones become Hobos People who drank to excess were never spoken of well in our household and when your father is who my father was, you know who the drunks are and what they do (at least Dad did) and that your children should never associate with those people or their children. We would mention a friend's name, my father's immediate response, Who is their parents? if we didn't know, where do they live? If their parents had a parking ticket - we were no longer allowed to play with them LOL I exaggerate, but it sure at times felt that way.

So I still feel that shame. I remember my ex going to the hospital - I didn't know what DT's or withdrawal was, the doctor closing the curtains and speaking to him, very quietly, I felt like all the nurses stared at us on the way out, people knew I was married to a drunk. I have never felt more like garbage in my life. It was one of my biggest resentments and one of the hardest to let go - he made me someone I would never associate with, by him having a drinking problem and by me developing my own. I was trash, garbage, someone to look down on. I was a worthless drunk. Words I heard about other people - even the Mayor once, while growing up.

So no, I don't care if people know I don't drink anymore, I have committed to a year sober and smober, I give different reasons, I have some work I want to have done, it's not good, now that the girls are getting older, to see me drink frequently, we want them learning good skills, too many calories, we're training for a bike ride/race... At this point and it may change, any answer but, I have a problem with the drink.