View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 08:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
LBrain

Welcome.

"Trying this sobriety THING..."

Disco is dead my friend. It tries to make a comeback in various forms over the years, but it was just a thing back then.

I know a few people who had tried rock climbing over the years, but it was just a thing at the time.

Sobriety is not a "thing", it is not a fad and it is certainly not like taking a vacation to an exotic destination once very few years.

Sobriety is way of life - and I don't mean like joining a program and becoming part of some sober society. I mean living sober. My wife never had an alcohol problem - except me - and she decided to live a sober life. She got drunk one time and didn't like it, so there was no need to do it again. She is not 'trying' it, she is living it. She didn't need to quit as did many of us who 'needed' to for our own good. And it's not a 'thing' for her or ANY of us who have realized the commitment to sobriety is a life long way of living. She is a non-drinker as am I. However, for me it was definitely a need and not just something to take a whirl at - a thing at the time. I just thought I would throw that into the conversation because when I hear it phrased in that manner it seems to me a whimsical thought. I assure you it shouldn't be taken so lightly as to be referred to as a "thing".