Thread: question
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 06:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
2muchpain

Originally Posted by Hope1989 View Post
There are several ways to deal with OCD. Commonly, this is done with dual therapy between medication and CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy). It takes time and patience.
I have gone through a CBT program and it helped a lot. I'm also on medication for depression and anxiety and it's also suppose to help with OCD so I'm probably better off than it could be. I had a psychiatrist a while back. I insisted on talking about this issue instead of the usual how ya doing stuff. He went on to describe some of his patients with this problem and went into detail how much worse their situation was and how disabling it can be. It was a real wake up call just how bad some people have it, but didn't do much with my situation. I figure, everybody has quirks. It's just in my situation, the OCD with drinking is the main problem. I can replace a broken faucet cause I kept turning it off and on so many times. I had to replace the handle on my car door cause it broke due to my having to pull on it so many times to make sure it was locked. You wouldn't believe how long it takes me just to park my car, check everything several times just to get out. Before I leave for work, I have to check everything like lights off, coffee maker unplugged, etc. an even number of times before I leave. These are mostly just annoyances and sometimes expensive, but I can live with that. Unfortunately, drinking gets rid of all this. It gives me some relief from all of this. Counting everything can be pretty draining and time consuming. That's OCD for ya. John