View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 11:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Someone who treats another as 'entertainment' is not a friend.

I work in a school for kids with special needs. One pupil spent a long time in mainstream before getting to us (goodness knows how they managed him and supported him in that environment). Anyway. When he first came to us he kept saying he missed his friends. Bigger boys who used to 'play with him' at break. How did they play with him? By making him crawl around on his hands and knees 'being a turtle'. All he knew was he made them laugh. He was getting attention. Neither he nor they had any thought for his dignity. Or the fact that crawling round in the dirt might not be good for him. Or that his trousers got damaged and his mother could afford new ones. He was just entertainment to them, not a whole person who they cared for. I can draw some parallels with some of the drinking 'friendships' I've had. Sometimes I've been the one seeking entertainment from others, and other times I've been the one desperate to be 'the entertainer'. Even when its mutual, thats not real friendship.

Real friends care about each other's health,and integrity, and would prefer a quiet but happy friend to an entertaining one who ends up feeling sad an hour and depressed about their drinking and choices.

Nowadays I walk to the beat of my own drum. I am calm enough to enjoy quieter activities. I am selfless enough to be a good friend, so I have good friends. A real mix. Some from AA, others from church, others from I'm not sure where. I am secure enough in my own self-worth that I don't feel the same need to get attention in inappropriate ways or ways that will make me groan and fill up with shame the following morning.

Keep walking to the beat of your own drum friend. It's a better way to live.

BB