Old 01-08-2018, 10:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Akc

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
Hi, Akc.
Welcome and congratulations on two years!
That is seriously great.
I know that it seems like everything revolves around booze, but, honestly, it doesn’t.
In fact, many people don’t drink or drink very little.
My husband and I moved around a lot for his job when we were younger.
I found the best way to get to meet people on my own, not with him, was to volunteer somewhere doing something I liked.
I have been a docent at a city zoo.
That was fun!
I have volunteered at a wildlife rescue center.
Yucky at times, but also fun.
Currently I volunteer at an environmental stewardship organization.
I have met some wonderful, like minded people there.
I don’t know where you live.
Assume from some of your references in your post that it’s England somewhere?
Are there walking or ramble clubs you could join with your dog?
Exercise and chatting combined.
Or birding walks?
I also go to yoga practice twice a week, and I have met some very nice women there.
Yoga tends to attract more women than men, though both of my instructors are male.
Also, about volunteering? It feels good to give something back.
Doesn’t sound like your husband and friends are going to be much help here, so I think that you have to be the change you want to see, yes?
Good luck. Keep posting and let us know how it goes.
You are most definitely among friends here.
Hi! U are very right I have been focusing on people who I thought would bend to accommodate my new lifestyle, I realise I have to carve a new life of my own, I can’t tell you how appreciative I am for everyone like yourself for taking time to message me with advice, I do live in the uk and a HUGE thing for me now sober is that I’m embracing who I really am I tried to fit in with others , that’s my low self esteem! And party with the yummy mummies, I’m socially inept at being cool! .. it was all such hard work ! But last year I hiked 20 miles in the Peak District, I coaxed a friend with me who dropped out and I went anyway and hiked with strangers but I connected with them as we just talked and walked but 2 were from Canada and I lived in Scotland. But it’s something I want to do more of, join a local walking group, I just find no one my age does this thing??? I don’t know why? I’m 42 not young btw! You have a great out look on life very similar to me , great to hear from you!