Old 01-08-2018, 09:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Akc

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
Welcome to SR Akc & well done on two years, that's fantastic!

I can't really help with your husband - you might want to post in the Friends & Family section for some advice on that?

I know what you mean about rehabs talking up how our lives are going to be when we get out. I know it's meant to be encouraging, but I think being a bit more realistic might be more helpful. If we've got ourselves into the state of having to go to rehab, then our lives probably haven't been going too well & we likely don't have lots of healthy interests & friends. Expecting our drinking friends to change just because we've changed probably isn't going to be too successful either.

It's not a quick fix, but have you considered doing something that will allow you to meet new people in a non-drinking environment? I got out of rehab back in the summer & I've got back into some interests that I had before the drinking took over & re-kindled some friendships there.

I've also started some volunteering & met some new people that way. I have social anxiety so I struggle with new people, but I've put myself out there & generally been pleasantly surprised at the response. The alternative was just to stay "stuck" where I was, which wasn't a lot of fun. I know what you mean about loneliness - I have very few people I can reach out to in a meaningful way - but I'm building new friendships & that goes some way to alleviating that.
Andy nice to meet you, well done on volunteer work! To have social anxiety and do that is brave , I decided to join a yoga class yesterday thought it would be good to meet like minded people maybe? The whole mindfulness and self care scene .. it turned out it was for oap’s but what the heck I enjoyed it and will go back but it’s a start but not what I had envisioned