Old 01-08-2018, 05:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Akc

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
Welcome to SR Akc & well done on two years, that's fantastic!

I can't really help with your husband - you might want to post in the Friends & Family section for some advice on that?

I know what you mean about rehabs talking up how our lives are going to be when we get out. I know it's meant to be encouraging, but I think being a bit more realistic might be more helpful. If we've got ourselves into the state of having to go to rehab, then our lives probably haven't been going too well & we likely don't have lots of healthy interests & friends. Expecting our drinking friends to change just because we've changed probably isn't going to be too successful either.

It's not a quick fix, but have you considered doing something that will allow you to meet new people in a non-drinking environment? I got out of rehab back in the summer & I've got back into some interests that I had before the drinking took over & re-kindled some friendships there.

I've also started some volunteering & met some new people that way. I have social anxiety so I struggle with new people, but I've put myself out there & generally been pleasantly surprised at the response. The alternative was just to stay "stuck" where I was, which wasn't a lot of fun. I know what you mean about loneliness - I have very few people I can reach out to in a meaningful way - but I'm building new friendships & that goes some way to alleviating that.
Fantastic advice thank you! I realise a lot of my friends well most were just drinking buddy’s, and u are right I shouldn’t expect them to accommodate just because I don’t drink. I started my love of art again it’s been years since I sketched .. it’s then lead on to me on starting a little business of upcycled furniture with hand painted designs which I then sell on! I love but once again thinking about it it’s just me in my garage with music on and a paint brush! So I’ve made huge changes but I haven’t actually made connections and I think I haven’t really tried as I’m a bit socially awkward so that’s my next challenge