Old 01-06-2018, 09:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nonsensical
Hears The Voice

I never wanted to do much when I was drinking because it interfered with sitting on my couch and drinking. Then I got sober and decided to follow Mrs. Non's lead - which got me to a bunch of beery beach concerts, wine tastings, and happy hour meetups. It suits her, but not my idea of fun.

I talked to her about it, but doggone if she could come up with entertaining things for me to do without drinking. That's when I realized I needed to get into gear and diversify my social life.

There's a website called meetup(dot)com that has been really awesome for me. I put in my interests and it finds me activities happening in my area related to my interests. (There's even a beach dog walkers group!)

I also started volunteering at a few places in town. I meet lots of interesting people doing that.

Also started going to many of the local arts events in my area. Plays, concerts, ballet. That's something Mrs. Nons and I can do together that we both enjoy.

It took me a fair amount of effort, but I have (and continue to build) a diverse social life without alcohol.

Congrats on 2 years sober.