View Single Post
Old 01-04-2018, 07:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
OpheliaKatz
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

Originally Posted by Willitend View Post
How did it end for you? What happened?
He didn't take it lying down, figuratively speaking. He went through this crazy "process" where he tried to dump me first, insulted me, started a smear campaign against me, started posting rubbish on internet forums about me, then he suddenly did a 180 when he ran out of money cause he spent it all on drugs and he tried to come crawling back -- Mr Jekyll/ Mr Hyde.

Oh, you mean, how did it end for ME? Not him, me? I went "no contact" on his @ss. Also, I spoke to people about things... and they really were helpful with the "no contact" part. I was acutely aware that if I tried to contact him, I would lose friends... and if I ever needed their help again, I would not be able to get it because they would be really angry at me for breaking no contact. I didn't want to dig myself into my own grave. I spent a lot of time talking to counselors, a DV service, and also went to Naranon.

I also took a lot of time to grieve. I was sad for, it seemed, forever. I think if I didn't have people around me who were supportive, I would have probably starved to death. SR was helpful. So were Melody Beattie's books. Also, "Psychopath Free" by Jackson Mackenzie. Yes, I know we're talking about addiction here, but as I was reading, I just substituted the word "psychopath" with "addict" and the entire book really made sense. Note: this only works if the addict you dealt with actually has serious narcissistic tendencies... otherwise it will make the book seem really melodramatic.

I've worked through rage and now I just feel sad when I think about what happened... but it's a calm sort of sadness, not desperate like it used to be. I feel... resigned. It's just my fate. This is what happened. This is something that I needed to learn from. That's how I see it.