Old 01-02-2018, 10:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Lonewolf22

Originally Posted by VigilanceNow View Post
I completely relate to this, and I like what was said about it being a death spiral. Totally accurate. That's how the vicious cycle works - you end up drinking to get rid of anxiety and other physical and mental pain, only to create new and worse ones. That's why they call this a progressive illness; it truly can and will get worse if we don't stop the cycle for good. Once you stay sober for a bit, I've found that the anxiety and shame is put into perspective and becomes manageable again. It can take time, so be patient with yourself and actively seek out a sober support network. That way you can reach out to them rather than finding temporary relief in a pub. There's certainly no shame in asking for help!! Good luck and keep your head up :-)
Thank you for the kind reassurance. I know I've got an appointment at recovery centre this Thursday so I will attend that and start going to more support groups.
I haven't been out the house yet since my last drink so kind of nervous about going out. It's when that urge to pick up a drink, its like I go in autopilot and can't reason with myself. I'm wondering if meds might be a good idea whilst I don't feel too strong lately. It seems the recovery centre are hesitant in prescribing them.