View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 10:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Bernadette

Hi SyndromeSacred:
Well two things popped in my mind:
1. He is likely drinking way more than you think!
2. He'd benefit from an honest visit with his primary care doctor and possible neuro work up if needed.

But: what can YOU do about either of those things? Not much! He's your partner so obviously you can say "I am concerned about your brain, here's what's been happening when you drink that I don't think you realize...."

You can say, "Those symptoms are serious and warrant a visit to your PMD where you tell him/her how much you drink and what happens to your thinking and speech."

And then that's it. Whether he picks up the ball/suggestion is entirely up to him. You can only control what you do for yourself.

My experience with this is that even when told by doctors that they were destroying their livers and that their brains were being seriously damaged, the As in my life kept drinking. Kind of a sure sign of alcoholism! Like if my doctor told me that alcohol or peanut butter was affecting my liver or brain I would immediately stop drinking or eating peanut butter whatever LOL! No more would need to be said.

I'm an ER nurse and the physical damage and brain damage is quite real, yet I've triaged the same folks over and over, most just never stop drinking until it kills them or they are institutionalized. :-(

I hope your partner goes to the doctor with honesty! His symptoms may be neurologically entirely unrelated to alcohol, but they sure aren't normal. We can't give medical advice on this forum but here are some links to info about how alcohol damages the brain:

https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicati...-2/143-145.htm

https://www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/...formation-Page

Remember you can only change yourself, you didn't cause, can't control, and can't cure the addict. If there was a way believe me - none of us would be here - this forum would not exist! Collectively we've seen everything so welcome and hope you find the support you need for your own mental health, and sure hope your partner chooses to get a check-up soon.
Peace,
B.