View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 09:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SyndromeScared

Unhappy Alcoholic- Scary Neurological Disorder?

Hi All,

First time poster here. I am hoping someone can help me.

I have had concerns about my partners's drinking for quite some time.

For some background, he is a 33 y/o male. At this point, I would call him more of a binge drinking than anything else. But absolutely has alcoholic tendencies.

He does not drink every day, but when he does, it is rare for him to NOT go overboard. I definitely feel that I am a good influence on him, and if I weren't around, he likely would be drinking nearly every day.

My concerns starts with how drunk he seems to get compared to everyone else in the room. I can have a quite a few drinks and be fine, but he has a few in a short amount of time and becomes a different person.

He is not mean, aggressive, abusive or anything. But he becomes very... odd.

It starts off with forgetfulness and trouble forming sentences (finding words, finishing thoughts, etc.) This, I also just chocked up to being drunk. But then, the eye fluttering and head bobbing begin. That's when I know it's time to tell him to go sleep it off.

Then begins his rambling, like he doesn't know what's going on.. like he is in a different world.

For example: the other night he was laying in bed after drinking and I came in the room to see he him. He began asking about "the glasses." He said: "I have to disagree about the glasses. The glasses that are a good gift. They are a small gift. They are a soft gift. Do you know what I mean?"

Of course, I did not know what he meant and what he was saying had no relevance to anything we had spoken about earlier in the day.

I am beginning to worry he has some neurological disorder that is contributing to this drunken behavior.

Does anyone have any experience with similar situations or behaviors?

I was looking into Wernicke Syndrome and wondering if that could potentially be the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you