View Single Post
Old 12-29-2017, 01:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Originally Posted by JustTony View Post
Isn't starting a relationship with someone else in recovery considered a 'no, no' for someone so early in recovery?

I'm neither approving nor disapproving (not that you need a strangers 'permission' to have a love life LOL)!

I just thought it was one of those 'rules'?
Never a rule - only a suggestion.
A wise one though imho. New relationships can be such as distraction, and for most of us tend to act as a magnifying glass to all our character defects. And most new relationships don't come to anything, and if we're not solid in our sobriety when we hit a bump in the road it can be quite dangerous for us. Not to mention that most of us don't really have much to offer anyone else early on, and we're likely to change and grow through our recovery - the people who seemed attractive and appealing at one month sober, really didn't so much at 8 months sober. The people who seemed attractive at 8 months sober didn't so much at 18 months sober. And if there's anything that I find awkward it's ending things, or disappointing people.

But I'm sure your sponsor has already said all this stuff already mrrryahj. And the thing with suggestions is that we're all free to do just as we choose.

Anyway - I'm glad you managed to clear the air with those people. I bet you feel lighter for it.

BB