View Single Post
Old 12-27-2017, 11:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
ForestFrenzy
I am not these thoughts - I am the Master of these thoughts.

Thank you everyone for sharing your own painful experiences with this.

They say give it a day and if you still feel the same, then you're probably on the right path. Not only do I feel the same but even more convinced of this decision. I wasn't expecting that, once the heat of the moment passed, but there you have it.

I opened a wound within that needed opening, I think. I am starting to have epiphanies left and right, and using them as part of my journey to free myself from the pain and shame he shrouded me and my sister in.

He will never have the strength and wisdom to look at where he is wrong - alcohol just being symptomatic of it. So he will never make any changes, which means there it little chance of true reconciliation and healing between us.

I am moving on and leaving it behind. It's a good point that cutting ties can lead to unnecessary baggage. I don't think this is finite but as I said before, it is a long-term decision and boundaries will be enforced and feelings towards him will never be the same.

For me, the next step is to accept. Accept that I have a father who is weak, entitled and flawed, yes, but more importantly, accept that he will not change. We are all flawed, after all. Accept I had an emotionally and verbally abusive father, growing up. Once I accept it, then I can forgive it, and truly be free.