View Single Post
Old 12-26-2017, 10:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
calvinm16

The drinking might not be the problem, lots of people try blaming alcohol on being the problem with people but like Gottalife said "The trouble with alcoholism is that alcohol is not the problem." I can relate to this 100% because although quitting alcohol reduced the severity of some of my downfalls and problems it definitely didn't fix them or "change" them so to speak. I still live with the same issues that I was masking with alcohol and probably always will. I literally discovered that alcohol was not what was causing my issues although I did want to believe that out of desperation.

Honestly there is a cycle that needs to be broken with most people, and it's not possible to teach an old dog new tricks always.

Do you ever try talking to your father in a reciprocal way? For example you can discuss some opinions, he can give criticism on them and then state his own opinions back until you guys can agree on something? I lived with extremely disfunctional family members and still do. I learned with time that drugs, alcohol do make people worse, cause inhibitions and etc.. etc... but the main thing that fixed my problems was talking, without anger, and without aggression.

Perhaps you need to voice some of your feelings towards your father to his face and tell him how you really feel so you can at least try to have a normal relationship with him. Not live with him of course if you're uncomfortable being around active alcoholics but he is your father and although it can be hard maybe just talk it out, it could help in your path of sobriety and release some tension off your shoulders?

That's just my two cents, been there. My father left when I was 4 and came back around when I was 18-20 to visit, we are able to spend time when he's in the state but I had to let go all my resentments and tell him how I feel about him before I could start building any form of enjoyable relationship.