Thread: Losing interest
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2017, 05:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
entropy1964

So I have said many times I'm not the poster child for AA. But I have learned so much from AA. OH my Gosh I have so much to be grateful for when it comes to all I've learned there.

For me, attending AA and participating as much as I am capable or willing is really helpful. That amount is determined by me. I understand what you're saying about that 'voice'....work the program or you're going to die. But really, is that my sponsor's voice, or anyone else's for that matter? Or is that my recovering voice in contrast with some other voice in me that says 'eh the meetings are 'boring', I'm 'tired' of it...yadda yadda. I hear crap all day long that I may or may not listen to. Why are things/people I hear in AA a 'voice' in my head? Hmmm. Maybe because that recovering person in me knows that I need meetings. Its a few hours a week for goodness sakes. I have an addict in me and a recovering person in me (on simplest terms) and they have opposite agenda's. And they argue at times. Sometimes it requires me to do a bit of detective work to determine who's yelling the loudest.

I can't do a meeting every day. That's just me. So a while back I decided 'ok Frick find a couple of meetings that you really like'. Now, not every meeting can be some life changing, light bulb experience. Sometimes I am watching the clock. But I have 3 meetings that I attend every week. I put them in my calendar and I go. I make that commitment and I keep it. Its 1 hour.

Only you can decide. But think about it a bit. And if you're going to quit, replace it with something else. Just my two cents.