Thread: My Child Within
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2017, 10:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
wpainterw

Thanks Don't Remember. I agree with you that trying to get sober with other folks can be self defeating if it turns into an ego booster. A selfie. There is not just one path to recovery. Some are loners and succeed. Others, like I was, find that it's safer to climb the mountain with others on the rope. If you hit a bad spot they can help you back on the trail and you need not go all the way back and start all over again. In a rehab I met a nurse who said that he "just gave it up" and succeeded. Myself I like companionship with some focus on humility. All the cravings seem to have disappeared, But the "child" is still there. Freud's emphasis on sex was misplaced. I once met a doctor who said alcoholism was caused by sexual confusion and invited me to join a coeducational group therapy session, Never did.. I'm 90 now and remain curious as to what might have happened if I had joined.
Even though Freud was wrong on the sex etiology, his structural description of super ego, ego and id has not been completely abandoned by modern research. They just refer to the Cerebral Cortex, the Prefrontal Cortex and the five or so dispersed sites of what Freud described as id or Rational Recovery describes as the AV.
In any event, it's not how you describe it. It's what you do with it. How to get sober, climb the mountain, get yourself out of the hole instead of digging deeper. Good luck. If it doesn't work then modify your plan.

Bill