Old 12-14-2017, 06:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
MyLittleHorsie

In dog and horse training, we have a "toolbox", real and imagined. Some dogs and horses work on compulsion, some are drivier, some you have no alternative but treats, some require e-collars, some don't, some are on a prong their whole life, others graduate off.

I am looking at my recovery the same way. Sometimes the principals of AA are working, sometimes, AVRT is better, I also have an arsenal of help from other things in my life I have overcome, in dieting circles, a failure to plan is a plan to fail - this one is huge for me, I love plans. Quitting smoking, the 5 D's, delay, distract, drink water, discuss and deep breathing.

I also believe you never set-up anyone up for failure, this I believe in for everything, child rearing, marriage, dog and horse training, employee training and motivation. Now, myself. As such, I know what I will do and what I won't do, so I am able to *plan* each day around that. I create a plan for success, now mind you, I am still on a pink cloud so to speak, but whatever, it is working. I stick to my daily, weekly, monthly plan, I deal with necessary deviations where possible, for me, last night I was going to wrap presents and watch The Crown, one of my kids caught a chill in the barn, so my plan deviated to me laying in bed, warming her up at 6:30pm. Even for deviations, I have a plan, if I cannot accomplish everything on my list today, I know, for each thing, when a better time is to do it. I like the toolbox approach, I don't think there is a one size fits all for anything. I think you make as many resources available as possible and employ them as needed.