Thread: Purgatory?
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 01:28 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Strugglingtoget

Sometimes, having a prosperous --even gigantic--life makes it more difficult to admit that we have a problem with alcoholism, or that we belong with all the others struggling as well. Last night I was at an AA meeting with a guy who is known publicly to earn at least $30 million a year. He was and is a mess, claiming to have "3 days back..." Remains apart from others, doesn't make eye contact, doesn't share, has the shakes, etc. He is plainly an alcoholic, as he admitted. I know 3 billionaires who are/have been in AA. One with quite long term sobriety who is thriving. One is constantly struggling just like the rest of us, often relapsing. The third died miserable of medical issues caused by excess alcohol and cocaine. the disease goes form "Yale to jail; from Princeton to Prison; from Park Avenue to the park bench...." Many have been all those places. Often, because it is progressive, whatever we may be earning today, we might be penniless and unemployable in a year or two..... The great news is that no matter who we are, we have a chance to get and stay sober today! Just what I've seen...