Old 12-13-2017, 07:06 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
MyLittleHorsie

I watched my ex go through AA and it is probably one of the major reasons I choose not to do it.

"I am doing great, they are talking about me sponsoring someone"

"That's great babe, knew you could do it"

He died from alcohol related illness last year, or two years ago, I didn't care. I was supportive and smiling all the while thinking, you are going to help someone quit, you don't have a rap sheet, you have a book, I have seen it, the Crown showed it to me and told me to run far and fast... The only reason you are sober and doing so well, is because it is court ordered. You are lying to yourself and everyone else, including those poor people at AA who think this time you are different.

The day after they quit **** testing him, he was drunk. He was unbelievably high functioning, we owned a lot of properties, he worked a very good job, I literally had more money than I could spend and there was no possible way he could **** it all away - so I thought. He finally managed by his death, about 1/4 of what he had 2 years previous was left, still enough for a normal person to live very well on for the rest of his life, but he wasn't normal.

Saying all that, I believe the program works, I have seen it work for others, however, the people are what put me off. I would not say the majority are that way, but I know he was, star steward for AA, until he could drink and then his vortex, and eventual decline makes the stories in the Big Book look like fairy tales.

I guess what I am saying, don't let people into your life, in AA, who you wouldn't let into your life outside of AA.