Thread: Harsh decision
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2017, 05:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Originally Posted by Hope1989 View Post
@August252015, ]
...I just can't make my family to understand that this is not "a problem of my age (I'm 28 years old). I don't know how to tell them that for me to get sober is more important than anything else. For me, it's important that they understand (because they love me a lot) and I will need their support to overcome this.
No. We can't make normies understand. The workings of an alcoholic mind just don't make sense to them. They try to apply the kind of reason that just doesn't help us.

What really helped me was understanding and accepting that this is just the way it is. They're not refusing to understand, they just can't. Just as, if someone was talking to me in chinese, no matter how much i wanted to understand them, i wouldnt be able to. It doesn't mean they don't love us. They just. Don't. Get it.

That was why AA meetings and sponsorship was so very important to me. It meant that as well as my normie family (who love me, but don't get it) I had a nice e big group of people who did get it and who could support me on my journey. Now many of them are like another family to me.

All they need to understand is that you have decided that you are no longer drinking alcohol. Not for anyone. Or any event. No more excuses. No more rationalisation. With the aim being a new life :Sober and happy and liking yourself. Simples.

BB