Thread: Harsh decision
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2017, 05:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by Hope1989 View Post
@August252015, thank you very much for your answer.

Yes. I am going to AA meetings and I'm planning on getting a sponsor either today or tomorrow.

I just can't make my family to understand that this is not "a problem of my age (I'm 28 years old). I don't know how to tell them that for me to get sober is more important than anything else. For me, it's important that they understand (because they love me a lot) and I will need their support to overcome this.

This is a tricky one for a lot of us. IME, recognizing that while I sincerely want my parents', family, etc support- I may not get it Period, or I may not get it like I'd want to .... or.... and it doesn't matter. That may sound tough, but honestly: my recovery is solely up to ME, and having others' support (especially those we love) is great- but also a moot point. Coming to acceptance of that is tough- and, at least for me, an up and down reality.

I'll give you an example:
My parents sideswiped me with "plans" for Tgving- in a nutshell, I thought it was on for my then-fiance, step daughter and me to join my parents and brother at the beach house. Then, I felt 100% ambushed in late Oct phone calls where BOTH my parents brought up specific, horrible things i had done in past holidays at the beach house. My dad even yelled at me- this just never happens. All this in my SECOND round of sober holidays- and when the past year and a half for certain have ONLY been good interactions at dinners, family Thanksgiving and more. It took me about three or four days to "recover" from my hurt, and decide with my now husband what we would do. And ultimately, I had to decide based on my program values what to do (we didn't go) and come to accept that they simply weren't giving me the support I wanted and truthfully, expected, at this point. Fretting over how they handled our decision was another thing I had to let go of, since I knew I/we had made the best decision for the peace of mind, no-drama, happy life that the three of us have built.

Take care of you. Learning a LOT from my sponsor about the whole ball of wax that is relationships has helped me tremendously.