Old 12-05-2017, 10:50 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

I think that's treading a VERY fine line.

One of the things I don't like about AA is its total focus on alcohol. I believe this is an anachronism back to when AA was founded, and few intoxicants other than were available to the average person. I think if one uses a strict definition of sobriety as freedom from alcohol and is smoking weed or taking some other substance it's kind of an end run around sobriety.

This is not true today. There are a lot of people that are cross addicted to alcohol and another substance. In the gay community, it's often meth (and compulsive sex). With younger people, weed (especially since legalization) is often the DOC, or an adjunct to drinking.

I like the all-fellowship meetings, or CA. I get a lot more out of ANY addicts story.

This may be that I can relate to multiple substance addiction.

So to me the answer is that you aren't sober for a year if you've taken any street intoxicant. Using prescription medication AS PRESCRIBED is still sobriety, unless you are getting it from a drug doc, or chasing multiple prescriptions to get more, etc. Psych meds are OK, like adderall for ADHD, depression/bipolar meds. Benzos for anxiety is fine, although I think it's quite a dangerous drug to a sedative addict (including alcohol).

Some people are OK with using something that was not their DOC after they have some sobriety behind them. BUT they have not been SOBER.

To me, I could give rat's *** about chips and cakes, and I don't need to prove sobriety to anyone but myself. And to me, as an addict/alcoholic, that includes ANYTHING not prescribed.