View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 07:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
stargazer016
Quit 4/17/15

It's hard doing the right thing

I am somewhat of an SR veteran and have 2.5 years of sobriety currently. I got emotionally involved in another member's struggles and helped her to regain sobriety for a spell. This is/was strictly a long distance relationship that eventually moved from SR into a 24/7 ongoing texting drama between us. She unfortunately relapsed, without telling me for several weeks, and began to say things to me that weakened and made me question my sobriety. Things along the line of "relapse is part of recovery in AA, and relapse makes you stronger." I found myself climbing the relapse ladder and having my AV running free through my head just as in the first few months.

Thanks to the advice of others here on SR, I decided that I had to cut this relationship off totally for the time being. I feel guilty as all heck abandoning someone whom is struggling hard and lacks a strong support system. But, in the end, I have to do everything I can to stay sober. I don't know if I have another recovery left in me.

I was in a meeting the other day, and someone used the analogy of a plane about to crash. They said, "Reach for your oxygen mask first!"

I am slowly rebounding and doing things to bolster my recovery. I just feel horrible walking away from someone I care about and, though in denial, is in great need.

Thanks for listening!