Thread: Things to Do
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 10:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
MyLittleHorsie

I love going out at night to do mundane things. Just going to town and shopping/browsing/buying nothing.
I have a pretty structured day. 5:30 wake up, the youngest and I are in the SUV off to daycare by 7, I am sitting in my office by 8am, I work there until 4, sometimes I run a quick errand, pick the kids up, quick supper, one pot meals are my forte - and my crock pot LOL. Then it's dance/hockey/swimming/riding lessons, then I have my own horses to deal with, then I do some at home work and housework, then fall into bed... My drinking was never as much what my husband and I fought about, my time management, that killed us, row after row, because I can't drink and keep up this pace. My mother in one of her true concern moods, reminded me I am getting older and all this is going to catch up with me. LOL, she isn't wrong. I have a consulting/accounting business, I am a sole prop for and 2 corporations I run, one of which is a nonprofit and we do approx. 8 events a month. 35 emails is an average day for me!

However, things I love to do, going out as mentioned above, wandering stores. (We did this Saturday night, as an aside, a great way to run into everyone you know, believe your husband when he tells you, nobody will notice you are not wearing a bra, whether they noticed or not, I met everyone at the mall that night I know!) Book clubs, every library has a book club. Community centres, the one near our house has yoga and gentle fit exercise, they have lunch and learns. Tonight there is a big ladies night out, craft shopping. Usually monthly in a town nearby there is a DIVA night, ladies only, freebies and again, just walk and wander. Some places have sober dances. It took me a long time, but I can finally go to a restaurant by myself and have a coffee, sometimes I take my lap top and work away. Local theatre, there's always a show, local art galleries, depending on them, they change their collections.
I think as alcoholics we isolate ourselves in this private bubble, we keep only people close to us who are not a danger to our way of life, we isolate everyone else and we forget there is this great big, vibrant world going on around us.