Old 11-29-2017, 08:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
MariJo

Alot of portions of your story are very identical to mine except the long distance part.
Over the last year, my boyfriend has gotten worse and would sometimes blame me for his drinking. Like your boyfriend, he is very kind hearted and loving person when he is sober but turns into a monster when he drinks. He is abusive with his words and has done many hurtful actions while under the influence.
Like your boyfriend, he has declared to have a problem and says he will look into help, but has not. I learned in this site that no love or care can change that. Right now we are on the brink of breaking up because of so many things that has happened recently including cheating, which of course he can't remember occurred. Like always, he is sorry but doesn't follow up with action.
Like you, I would drink with him socially and encourage him to go out with friends who drink. Now I know that was a mistake. I know that addicts need to quit completely, they can't even have 1.
I don't want to tell you that things will get worse but you should try to seek a recovery center in order to prevent future incidents and as soon as you can.
Don't expect him to do it for you though. I did and it has broken my heart even further and has made me think, "why aren't I enough?" Fact is that WE ARE enough. How can he love me, if he doesn't love himself. He has to want to stop all by his will and hopefully your boyfriend's faith and hope doesn't fade, like mine has lost his.
This site is wonderful and you can find much help, even recovery centers and you can encourage your boyfriend to post in the appropriate forums. It's great not to feel lonely in tough situations. Some people will be very blunt but others will show compassion and advice which is what you and I need. Some people understand that it's a process. I hate that I let myself be respected by him when he turns into a monster. But how do you walk away from someone you love and cared for years. It's all a process.

Sending much love to you.