Thread: I need help
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2017, 08:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ilovepi

Hey there. I'm so glad you spoke to him. I'm still struggling with telling people I've been close to for years, my "horrible secret".

Drinking (or any other addiction) and shame go hand in hand. Add a diagnosis of anxiety and depression to the mix and it's a ****** cycle.

You feel the need to drink to calm anxiety/worries/depression/stress. You drink. You don't want anyone to know. You don't want them to be mad/angry/sad/scared. You lie. You feel it's for the best, though you hate yourself for lieing about it. You get anxious and depressed because you don't want them to find out and give up on you or worse, think you drink because of them.
Drinking increases the depression. You wake up, feel shame you drank or lied about drinking and get worried about how it's affecting your life. You want to stop. It eats at you all day. The family/work/financial/health issues it's causing. You want the guilt and shame to go away.
You drink.

I have Major depressive disorder (MDD) and PTSD. I'm also an alcoholic.

Keep coming here. A lot of us get it. These things are hard, real hard. But, sobriety is possible. A therapist and support groups for anxiety, depression, and/or addiction can do wonders, too!