View Single Post
Old 11-24-2017, 08:04 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
tursiops999

Hi Aspieman - welcome!

I did attend a couple of Refuge Recovery meetings early on, and found them helpful. I also attended various classes and retreats on mindfulness (not recovery oriented) and found them very helpful for living my life & coping in a healthy way with stress.

If groups are not comfortable for you, fortunately there are a wealth of resources on mindfulness that you can access online and in books. Many, many guided meditations out there, books with instructions, lectures on tape, etc. An example of one such resource is Dharma Seed -- a nonprofit dedicated to making talks and guided meditations available freely to anyone.

Mindfulness helps me with stress and anxiety. It also does help with my sobriety, in that it makes me more aware of my own thoughts. The key for me quitting has been removing alcohol or drugs as an option, under any circumstances, then using AVRT to recognize that any thought that supports drinking/using is the addictive voice (which I do not obey).

There's lots of great info on SR about peoples' different experiences of quitting ... stick around!